Sunday, March 1, 2009

Discussion #1

Suleiman, the main character in the book is a very dynamic character. At times he acts mature beyond his age. He supports his mother when she needs help, and is able to comfort her. He is the soothing presence his mom needs. I like how easy-going he makes his live seem...although there is turmoil in his life, and problems with his mother's life, Suleiman is able to make the best of it and act like a kid. His parents have influenced him a lot; his dad has made him strong (he tells him that he is the "man of the house" and that he needs to take care of his mother). His mother has brought out the supportive side; her need for constant aid has made Suleiman gentle and caring. I can slightly relate to him, although not on a very deep level. Like Suleiman, I used to spend time in the summer exploring my neighborhood, trying to find something new to amuse myself. But I also cannot relate to him, because I never faced the problems he did. My parents were never sick, and my dad would always come home at 5:30, not like Suleiman's, randomly appearing and disappearing. Suleiman seems like he will change a lot during the book, and will be presented by challenges because of his mom, dad, and the revolutionaries.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Kshitij, in the other blog he may have been characterized as shy, but he is also strong according to the blogs. He most likely became this way because he now had to step up now that his father was a revolutionary and he knows that his father may not come home one day. These thoughts may have hardened him into a man and seeing his mom worried and sad helps too.

    ReplyDelete